As a mom you have your good days and your bad days. Today would rate as a bad day. Just one of those days that never started on the right foot. I go to walking class this morning, and I look at all of the other children in their strollers. They are all snuggled in chomping on cheerios, sippy cups or their favorite lovey. Mine, well that is a whole different story. He is wiggling around trying to escape the retraints of the stroller.
Class begins and as I'm trying to pay attention and attempt to make conversation with the other moms, I am also trying to manhandle my son who continues to try to escape the stroller. Ok, so we start walking. Things seem pretty good then we stop to weigh in and take measurements. All of the other moms can participate in this little project, but I on the other hand make the mistake of releasing my child from the arms of the stroller for some free time. And...off he goes. Wobbling off in every direction. Touching every dirty thing he can find.
As class continues without me I chase off after my wild child. At one, who would have guessed he could climb up benches to chew on dirty mall plants that are covered in enough germs to contaminate a whole country. To top it off, he decides this moment seems perfect to poop right there in the middle of the hall. Needless to say the nearest bathroom was at the other end of the building. So, as a good mother, I trot off carrying my son under my arm like a sack of potatoes and grab all of my necessary changing supplies. May I add here that I still have not had a chance to particpate in the whole weighing in and measurement project that the other moms are wrapping up. Ok, so I grab the nearest bench and attempt to hold down my son with one hand while changing the diaper with the other. Not something I could do in the early months as a mom, but now it comes easy to me.
Mission accomplished! After the successful diaper change I am determined to complete the task of weighing and measureing. I plop my son down on the floor to play with the diaper bag and I somehow manage to complete the task at hand. Thanks of course to some polite moms who entertained the wild one.
Paperwork finished, I am ready to start walking. Wrestling my son away from a toy he stole from another well behaved child, I strapped him back into the stroller and began my walk. I have to say, at this point I felt like I just completed my own mom marathon so I did not have that much energy left to go full throttle. Lagging back behind the other fast paced stroller mommies I walked and wondered. What is it like to have a mild mannered child? Will I ever know?
2 comments:
i loved this post! i mean, i know, it was a rough day. and i think i just feel happy knowing that someone else has a child that just, well, wants to be free to be and explore and do. but the important thing is, you went anyway. you did it anyway! you are a champion mom. let those mommies have their docile little babes. we are proud mamas of independent little adventurers who will keep our lives forever interesting.
Sarah, you were great! The funny thing is that I looked at you and thought, "Geez, she's got it together, will I ever???". I watch Dominic's energy and think how great he is and if Sophie will ever be that way!
Remember, Sophie has very few classes where she isn't screaming her lil' ole head off!
So, you may have felt disheveled, but you came off like a great mom who has it together in the face of challenge! (and, for the record, I don't think anyone can keep up when Serena is the pace setter! She is a power house! I strive to be her!!!) haha
Post a Comment