Sunday, October 11, 2009

Isaac's Birth Story

Ok..so I have to make this quick, but I thought it was well worth sharing.

Apparently when they say labor they mean LABORING! I officially was in early labor for 5 days. By the time I went to my appointment Monday morning (Oct 5) I was 5 cm dilated and 70% effaced. I was having contractions on and off, but I had been feeling them for 5 days. Leaving that appointment I really didn't have my hopes up. I spent the day with D playing and snuggling. Timing my contractions (30 min at this point) We went to Black Bear for dinner and then I thought, huh...these aren't going away. We stopped at Kroger to get groceries and I had to stop mid aisle to catch my breath. When we got home R took D outside to play for a while so I could time contractions and stuff D's birthday invites. Since the contractions were still only coming 30 min apart we took D to the playground so I could walk around. By this time they picked up to 15 min, but nothing too painful. We stayed at the playground until dark and ventured home. I bathed D and put him to bed. When I was walking out of his room I had a contraction that almost made me fall to the floor. Let me mention here that I was told at my appointment that morning not to come to the hospital until my contractions for 5 min apart. At this point, it was 9:30 and I was exhausted. I decided to lay down and see if things picked up. By the time I got into bed, I wasn't even able to lay down from the discomfort. I had three strong contractions before 10 and woke up R to call his mom. She still had a thirty minute drive to get here to watch D for the night.

This is where things get tense. After the phone call was made, my contractions were still 10 minutes apart, but picking up in strentgh. By 10:23 (I remember specifically b/c I was screaming to Ryan to find out where his mom was..) I was on all fours on my living room floor. I felt the urge to push and knew I had to get out of the house and to the hospital. I was screaming at R to get me to the car, but he was stalling to wait for his mom b/c D wasn't to be left alone. NOW, please understand I would never leave my child unattended, but I knew R's mom was just around the corner and I NEEDED TO GET THE HELL TO THE HOSPITAL. As Ryan helped me to the car another contraction hit and I wasn't able to sit. He was insisting on an ambulance and I somehow pulled myseld together enough to get into the car. I'm sure my neighbors thought a cat was dying in our driveway b/c at this point I couldn't control my pain and the only way I could get through each contraction was to let out a loud moaning sound. (VERY LADYLIKE I'M SURE!) Our drive to the hospital was speedy to say the least. I rolled out of the car leaving the door open and waddled into the ER screaming for an epidural. Little did I know, these annoying woman thought I was going to sit down for an interview. That was of course until another contraction hit and someone asked, "Is this your first child?" and I responded through heavy moans NO! THIS IS MY SECOND, GET ME AN EPIDURAL!! I was immediately take by wheel chair to a room I have no idea where it was located. I was put on a bed and told I couldn't get an epidural until they took my blood. R had to go move our car...and shut my door! ;-) The Dr (resident-from hell) checked me and told me I was only 6 cm and said she would page my midwife. R returned and at this point my contractions were one minute apart. I was trying my best not to kill this nurse taking my blood. I think in between screaming JESUS CHRIST HELP ME, I pleaded for an epidural. Then I told R and the nurse I had to push. The "Annoying Nurse" said, "honey just breathe your fine." I responded, "I HAVE TO PUSH!" in my head what I was saying is, "BITCH THIS BABY IS COMING OUT AND I HAVE TO PUSH!" Luckily for her, I thought before I spoke...(she was my night nurse the rest of my stay at the hospital!) I guess something made her believe me because she pulled back the covers and jumped up and said yes, there is the head. Immediatly the room was full of people and I believe my water broke at 11:23:28 and Isaac entered the world at 11:23:36. To say that was the most painful experience of my life is an understatement. I'm glad it is over and I'm relieved that Isaac is healthy. I have way more thoughts on the whole birthing experience, but no more time. I will try to post my after thoughts later. Until then read and enjoy. I apoligize for any editing errors and I have no time to reread this post.

3 comments:

Heidi Ho said...

OMG....You are superwoman! You are makin' me scared...very very scared!!! hahahahaha!!

They have got to do something about those resident/doctors from hell!!!!!

Good for you for taking control. Did Betsy make it???

tams said...

so, i'm guessing you didn't get the epidural... you're a rockstar mama! way to go! love ya!

Unknown said...

No Epi! I agree with Tammy... you are a rockstar superwoman!