Monday, November 1, 2010

Three Years Ago Today I Became a Mother

Dominic I promised myself that after you turned two I would write you a letter on each birthday to replace the fact that I just didn't have the time to dedicate to your baby book all the time. So here it goes....

Dear Dominic,
I'd have to say that the past year with you has been my favorite to watch. The changes in you from two to three have been amazing. You went from being a little boy to a little man. Instead of being home taking care of you all day, I now have a friend to talk with too! It is so wonderful. Everyday you amaze me. Your second birthday came with a big gift. You were thrown into being a big brother. Although you had a rough first few weeks, you have become a wonderful role model for Isaac. You do have your moments, and we are working on sharing, but you have such a big heart when it comes to Isaac. You love holding his hand and playing chase with him. Although there are tough days juggling both of you, I'm glad you are close in age so that someday you can be best friends.

Over the past year you have really enjoyed playgrounds and other kids. You love preschool and your teacher, Miss. Yumiko. At home you love to cook and "mix ingredients." A day doesn't go by that you are not busy painting or coloring pictures. You insist that I hang them all up in the kitchen. You've really started your own little art exhibit. Your favorite place to eat is Eat N Park. You like to go there with your daddy for dinner. You always tell me to stay home and "watch Isaac and give him his bubba!" You also like eating chicken nuggets and french fries. It has become part of your daily diet. Well, that and frozen waffles, I'm not sure I understand that one, but you insist on the frozen part. Another favorite or yours is something I not very proud of. Your favorite bad word right now is "Damn It!" You even use it in the correct context which blows my mind. Sometimes when you say it, I have to try really hard not to laugh, but it is amusing.

Around Easter time you gave up the binky and shortly after you refused to sleep in your crib. The transition for both was very rough, but now it seems we have settled into a routine that workes well for all involved. You sleep in your own bed and your bedtime is much later. Around 9:30 because you insist on reading a variety of books with us together in bed. Although it makes for a long night, I have to say that is one of my favorite times with you. The best part of all of this, is that it seems that over the past year your dad and I are not the only ones giving direction anymore. You've become your own person and voice your likes and dislikes. Although at times it can be a bit frustrating and we do have our battles, it is nice to see you growing up and gaining some independence. It is sad to think back to the baby that you were only a short time ago. I wish you could stay little forever, however, I always want you to know that I am very proud of the boy you have become. I hope that this time we are spending together creates memories for that you will one day share with your own children and family. Dominic Alexander, I love you more and more every day and hope that you have many more birthdays to share with me. Happy third birthday!



No comments: