Thursday, April 28, 2011

One Heck of a Ride

The other night I had a dream I was sitting on this rollercoaster and after a whirlwind ride it crashed into a mountain of cereal boxes, Captain Crunch or Fruit Loops I'm sure, but I didn't get that much time to look because I was jarred awake to start the day.

All day I thought about that dream. At times I laughed because I thought what was I thinking? Then it made me reflect back to the life I had before kids and how different I am now. How different I am with two boys. Like for instance. A mom of boys doesn't think twice while showering and stepping over mounds of plastic dinosaurs or fake insects in the bathtub. Better yet, I highly doubt a mom of girls gets to judge the size of boogers on a day-to-day basis. I guess, I just never expected the old me would embrace these things as "normal." There is truly never a dull moment in our house.

I've struggled with patients a lot over the past few weeks because the boys have been sick and I'm still nursing Isaac over an 8 week ear infection. I try to remind myself that no one is perfect and every parent has their moments of impatience. It is normal. Although they may test me at times, there is not a day that goes by that I don't look around and feel joy that they have blessed me with so many new insights about who I am as a person. Just as I try to teach them new things everyday, they continue to show me to look at the world in a totally different way.

Which bring me back to the rollarcoster dream....I'm taking it to mean that when my life feels crazy and overwhelming, it really isn't as bad as it may seem...I mean I could have crashed into a moutain of.....boogers!Dominic probably would have liked that one.

No comments: